Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tia's Peas and Egg Soup

Come on in for a wonderful recipe. I am joining Chaya over at Sweet and Savory for Meatless Monday, go check it out here. Does anyone remember that program on Food Network called Calling All Cooks? It was home cooks sharing their best recipes. I got this recipe from that program several years ago. I sure miss it, great recipes. I have about 6 from that show that I make several times a year. This is a meatess meal that I love. My husband does not eat it. I cannot say he does not like it, he has never tried it. I have several vegetarian friends and it is my go to meal in the cooler months when they come over. It does have eggs in it. While fresh peas would be great I use the southern staple for canned english peas....Le Sueur Peas .
This is an on top of the stove soup. Sorry no crock pot. It makes a lot, and is very filling.

Tia's Peas and Eggs Soup
1/2 cup olive oil
2 yellow onions chopped
4- 6 finely chopped garlic cloves
8 - 10 potatoes peeled and cubed
1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with puree
42 ounces of water (fill tomato can 1 and 1/2 times)
pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 15 ounce cans of english peas with juice
11 eggs  (use an odd amount for good luck)
1 cup freshly grated romano
 
in a large pot, warm up the olive oil.  add onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent.  add the potatoes and salt and stir to insure the potatoes are coated with the oil.  fry potatoes over medium heat for about 10 - 15 minutes but don't allow them to get color.  Add the tomatoes, then using the can fill it up 1 ½ times with water, and pepper and sugar and bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
Add the peas, including the juice, and stir gently. Simmer another 30 minutes. Increase to a boil, crack eggs into a separate bowl and gently add to the top of the boiling mixture (amount based on room in pot). Cover the pot and let the eggs poach for about 15 minutes.
Serve hot with 1 or 2 eggs per serving. Freshly grated romano over top.
Just posting this reminds me of the times my dad and I shared this soup. It is so good.
Thanks for stopping in! Don't forget to check out Meatless Monday.
I read and treasure every comment.

17 comments:

  1. That does make a lot of soup. I have been making a lot of soup these cold winter days. Perhaps I'll half it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM girl...With all this snow I got right now this would be wonderful...thanks for sharing...May you have a great Sunday my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette - I think I'm with Doug - don't think I could peas AND eggs together but thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanette! What an unusual soup! I have never heard of poached eggs in soup before. That might be a taste I would like! Happy weekend...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm willing to try most anything. I love egg drop soup, so eggs in the soup doesn't bother me. I have to say it is a very strange combination, but I'm saving it to try (maybe a small batch the first time)!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first visit to your site, and it is beautiful. You are very good with the camera. Love the combination of peas & eggs in a soup. Will try this.
    Trevy
    http://homecooksonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be honest - I would have to think about the soup. #1 - I don't care for poached eggs. But thank you for sharing the recipe with everyone.
    Thanks for stopping by. I could easily put a strain on my bank account in that store.
    Have a great week.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Jeanette, I learned something new today... I 've never heard of english peas and will have to hunt them done next time at the store! Yummy!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think this sounds delightfully, differently yummy. good thing my little ones like both peas and eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DEAR JEANETTE,
    I FOUND YOU THROUGH A COMMENT YOU LEFT ON DONNA'S BLOG. IT SEEMS ALL THREE OF US NOW HAVE DAUGHTERS IN HEAVEN. MY 33 YEAR ONLY DAUGHTER, AMY PASSED TO HEAVEN ON OCT. 23, 2009. IT HAS NOW BEEN 93 DAYS SINCE I HELD OR HUGGED HER. I AM NOT GOING TO BEAT AROUND THE
    BUSH, THERE ARE DAYS THAT IT IS VERY HARD AND YOU KEEP ON GETTING UP WHEN YOU DON'T WANT TOO.
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW YOUR STORY ONE DAY WHEN YOU ARE READY TO SHARE IT.
    HAITI IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME AT THE TIME.
    I LOVE YOUR SWEET PIGS,
    I WILL TRY YOUR RECIPE.
    A GRACIE ANN PECK AND A HUG AROUND YOUR NECH.
    SIMPLY DEBBIE
    I JOINED YOUR BLOG AND WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO JOIN MINE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeanette
    Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog :) I love soups ... I made soup today!
    God Bless,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jeanette...I love soup!
    I've never heard of this one before but will surely try it!
    Up late tonight, fighting the flu and enjoyed visiting your blog...I'll be back to keep an eye on what your up to, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...Syop over...love to have you

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds perfect with our gray, snowy day! I've never made anything like it...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a new soup to many of us. It sounds delicious to me and if I have the ingredients, I will make it, this evening. I like the idea of the eggs but I can see, if it is a new idea, it might be hard to adjust to. That is why, I try new variations in cooking.

    Thanks for posting this at Meatless Mondays at Sweet and Savory.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeanette this soup sounds so delish! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THat sounds so interesting! My printer is out of paper I hope I remember to come back & write it down!

    ReplyDelete