Saturday, November 21, 2009

Flashback - Rivel Soup

This soup is one of my strongest Thanksgiving memories. My dear departed Aunt and Uncle would come down from Bentonville, Ark every year and my Aunt Edith would make this soup. It is a simple soup but an deep memory.

Aunt Edith's Rivel Soup

Ingredients
1 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup crushed corn kernels
Directions
Combine the flour, salt, and beaten egg and mix together with the fingers until mixture is crumbly.
Pour this mixture into the gently boiling broth, add the corn and cook about 10 minutes. Some people think rivels look like rice.

*** I wanted to add, only add the flour, salt, beaten egg mixture that is crumbly and through your fingers. If you add the whole bowl it will thicken up the soup broth too much.

Thank you for stopping in and visiting my blog. Please leave a comment and let me know you were here.

Jeanette

5 comments:

  1. Jeanette,

    This soup sounds wonderful as well! I love that you have a special memory to share with the recipe.... Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup. It's so comforting and it's a staple in my kitchen during the winter. Thanks for sharing a family recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jeanette, Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you'll come back again soon. And yes, we love soup around our house too. Comfort food at it's best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a different and yummy sounding recipe! And a great flashback :-) Thanks for joining me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soup sounds so good and wonderful memories are a treasure.

    ReplyDelete